Absentee Voting Information
If you cannot get to the polls on budget and trustee vote day, which is May 17, 2016, you may still vote by using an Absentee Ballot. However, you must meet the following qualifications to vote via Absentee Ballot:
- Absent from Nassau County due to employment or business reasons, duties, studies, or vacation on the date of the vote (May 17, 2016). OR
- Unable to appear at the polls due to temporary or permanent illness or disability. OR
- Detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or awaiting trial or
confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony.
Instructions for voting by Absentee Ballot:
1. Obtain an Absentee Ballot Application
- Click Here for an Absentee Ballot Application OR
- Pick up an Absentee Ballot Application in the main office at any of the ten Syosset School buildings. OR
- Call the Office of the District Clerk at 516-364-5669 to request an Absentee Ballot Application. OR
- Mail a request for an Absentee Ballot Application to the Office of the District Clerk, South Woods Middle School, 99 Pell Lane, Syosset, NY 11791. (The completed application must be received no later than seven days before the election if the ballot is to be mailed.)
- If you are permanently ill or disabled, you have the right to receive an Absentee Ballot for each subsequent election without further application. Simply fill out an application (click here)
and send it to the Nassau County Board of Elections.
2. Return the Completed Application
- Mail or hand deliver your completed Absentee Ballot Application to the Office of the District Clerk, South Woods Middle School, 99 Pell Lane, Syosset, NY 11791. After review of your application and once the ballots are ready, your absentee ballot will be available:
- If you wish your Absentee Ballot to be mailed to you, the application must be received at least seven days before the election. OR
- If you wish to pick up the Absentee Ballot in person, the application must be received no later than the day before the election. You may pick it up from South Woods Middle School, 99 Pell Lane, Syosset, NY 11791.
3. To actually VOTE:
- Fill out the Absentee Ballot you receive.
- Seal the Absentee Ballot in the mailing envelope and send it by U.S. Mail. Note: You must place postage on your ballot or the Post Office will not deliver it.
- The Absentee Ballot must be received by the Office of the District Clerk, South Woods Middle School, 99 Pell Lane, Syosset, NY 11791, not later than 5:00 p.m., prevailing time, on Tuesday, May 17, 2016. No ballot received after that time may be opened or counted.